Saturday, June 02, 2007

Review: The Baseball Economist by J.C. Bradbury

Bradbury is an associate professor of Economics. He wrote this book with an economists’ viewpoint on baseball. He may have gone too in-depths in economics for some people’s taste, but being an economics major in college, I enjoyed it and re-learned a few concepts. He covers some topics that have were previously discussed by folks like Bill James, Voros McCracken, Michael Lewis and Jay Gould (and gives them due credit). Topics that were new to me that I found interesting included the effect of “protection” by the on-deck hitter, managers lobbying for balls and strikes, and the baseball monopoly.

I enjoyed this book and I recommend it to baseball fans that are not afraid of charts, numbers and economic concepts. I would be the first in line to buy his second book if Bradbury expands his economic analysis and writing into other sports.